Sunday, June 24, 2012

2 grad student comments (2 of 2): African-American with dreads.

There's this one (late 30s or early 40s?) African-American grad student with dreads who I know from always being in the library at the same time, and sometimes if he's smoking out front, I join him if I'm eating my lunch out there to enjoy the sunshine.

He just finished his ph.d., and he was telling me about a motorcycle trip he was planning.

(I think he's an older generation of grad students, one of the ones who took forever and now has no job.)

We then got to talking about trips, and he was saying the last roadtrip he went on, he ended up in Montana, and his big goal for the trip was to see Little Bighorn.

"I really wanted to see where Custer got his ass kicked," he was like, with no bit of humor about it, just a straight-up statement about what he wanted to see on his trip.

No comments: