Friday, March 9, 2012

Good advice from a friend.

A while ago, my one friend with the cat had told me not to automatically set lower rates for ph.d. students who come to me for Greek or Latin tutoring / private lessons, since there's a lot of ph.d. students out there with money.

So, last week a guy emailed me b/c his mom had died and he had missed 3 weeks of class and was hoping I could review grammar help him catch up, etc., so I wrote back, sent him my resume, and then said I charge $65/hour to show up and tutor, "though it's negotiable depending on circumstances, so don't be scared off by the price if it seems high."

He wrote back saying it was much, and counter-offered $50/hour, which I happily took, because I would have done it for $20/hour, if I had to state a rate for someone pleading poverty!

My one friend with the cat really did give me good advice.

No comments: