Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Called a woman a cunt before 7am.

So the other morning I called a woman a cunt before 7am.

It was Fri. and I was late getting out the door and had to get to campus for my Hebrew quiz, and when I get to the subway turnstile (not the main entrance; it's the one on the south end of the platform, where you can only use cards to get in), two younger (white) women get there ahead of me, so I file in line as they swipe in and walk through the turnstile (actually one of those doors that rotate).

As I go through, I'm trapped in the door.

I don't know what's happening at first - my card went through! - and then I realize one of them must not have paid, so I call out, "Hey, did you not pay for your fare!", and this one stops as she's going up the stairs and turns around, and it's this well-dressed mid-20s girl looking like she's on her commute to work.

"My card didn't work yesterday and it's not working again today," she was like.

"Well, you took my fare," I was like.

"But my card's not working," she was like.

"Well, what am I supposed to do?", I was like. "I'm trapped here."

At that moment a (black) guy stepped up from the opposite side and said he could take my card and swipe me in, but I ignored him.

"Well, you can swipe again," she was like.

"That'll cost me another fare," I was like. "I'll do that, if you'll give me the money for the fare I paid for you."

She said something affirmative but snotty, and so I went back out through the turnstile, swiped my card again, and came back through, and we started walking up the steps together.

"So do you have my $2.25?", I was like.

"Yeah, wait," she was like, using a really snotty tone of voice, and she pulled out $2 to give to me. "Here it is, if it's so important to you."

"Okay," I was like, "But what about the twenty-five?"

"I don't have that on me," she was like. "Isn't that two dollars enough?"

At that point we had gotten to the top of the stairs, so I was like, "Ok, I guess that's enough. Have a good morning - *CUNT*."

At that, her face just changed and she had this total look of disgust, and backed away in shock.

It was 6:58am.

I'm glad I didn't call her a bitch; I think she might have taken pride in that word.

No comments: