Sunday, October 9, 2011

A day downtown.

On Thursday I was downtown.

I walked by the Apple store, and was surprised that there were flowers and apples and cards out front and post-it notes above them on the store's window, and so many people taking photos of them that a policeman was stationed there to remind people to keep in so the sidewalk was clear for pedestrians.

After that, I strolled up to this ritzy downtown neighborhood park to study outside, and I arrived at an intersection when the "stop" hand was blinking, so I said to the (older, but with plastic surgery) (white) woman with a shopping bag standing there, "C'mon, we can get across!", and as soon as we stepped into the street the light turned yellow and we had to dash across.

"If anything happens I'll sue you!", she joked, jogging up behind me.

At the park I got a coffee, but there were few places to sit, so I went up to this (white) girl in a black halter top and big sunglasses who was studying by herself at a table, and was like, "Excuse me, can I study here?" - and it turned out to be a ph.d. student I know from another institution, I didn't recognize her because of the sunglasses!

We talked a bit, and it turns out she and her boyfriend had moved into the neighborhood recently. She says the weirdest thing is that a lot of rich people from the place on Sundays do one-day rentals from the nearby Mercedes-Benz dealership, and do that just to take the car to brunch at restaurants within walking distance, so they can have them parked outside.

She also pointed out the cougar bars in the area, and we decided that we should go to "cougar night" specials (= drink discounts for guys under 25 and women over 40) at different bars, just for the scene and the fun.

No comments: