Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Blizzard Experience.

I was on campus to teach from 10:30-1pm on Tuesday and then stuck around to do work and go to a lecture and then the gym.

Around 3pm I could see from the 4th-floor library windows that snow was blowing horizontally, so I checked the public transit websites and they said they'd be no problems on major roads and trains, and since that described my way to get home, I finished up my work and went to the 4:30-6pm lecture.

During the lecture - on 2nd Temple Judaism; the lecturer was Argentinian and had quite a good sense of humor (e.g. "If you celebrate Yom Kippur you're a good Jew, but if you don't and feel bad, you're also a good Jew") - every once in a while there'd be this big gust of wind blowing up against the windows and you could see snow just blow up from the ground and the wall and the window and up beyond sight.

Afterwards, I walked to the gym and the roads weren't that bad, so I stayed for my upper body workout...

At like 7:45pm, I walked out to the stop, since the bus-texting system said that I'd have 5 minutes to wait, though it turned out to be 10minutes... While waiting, this woman had her car get stuck when she was leaving a sidestreet, and someone had to help her push it.

When the bus came, it was going 20miles an hour, but we made it slowly but surely through the horizontal-blowing snow... We had to wait 10minutes at this big curve in the road for a huge line of cars to one-by-one make lefthand turns, so I decided to hop off at the 1st subway line and not the 2nd, since though the 2nd would take me home, they link up downtown and it seemed better to go that way then maybe encounter more problems on the road.

So, I waited 10minutes, got the train downtown, and then made the connection to the other train - and discovered on there people from the bus! So, my way *didn't* turn out to be faster, but oh well.

After that, it was pretty uneventful until 4 stops before mine, when we had to wait for a train ahead of us to turn around and reverse direction.

Then, 2 stops before mine, they said the train wasn't going further, and we'd have to de-board and get onto shuttle busses to take us home.

Only, at the next stop, when everyone started getting off, suddenly they announced that we were leaving for the next stop, so people had to hop back on and then we left!

At my stop, when I was getting off, they started announcing that the train would only go 5 or 6 stops more further, then there was no service for the last 4 stops, only shuttle busses.

But, that didn't matter to me, I was home.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

I can't believe you left everyone else behind like that.

JUSIPER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.