Monday, January 31, 2011

3 Sunday events.

1) When I talked with my parents, I was asking them if they had watched Obama's State of the Union address. My mom hadn't, but my dad had.

"So what did you think?", I was like.

"It was like always, a lot of generalities and no particulars," he was like.

But, I then asked him about some of the themes on "investment in the future", and my dad said he supported money going into education, infrastructure, and research, especially infrastructure.

"American infrastructure is a disaster waiting to happen," my dad was like, "And I've thought that for a long time."

When I brought up immigration reform, he also said that something had to be done, especially for kids who grew up here, though Obama might not get what he wants, and when I asked him what he thought of Obama's argument that it strengthens America to let those kids go to college, rather than give spots to foreign kids to get educated here and then go home and compete against us, my dad was like, "I found that to be a really interesting point!", so you could tell that he was on board with that.

When I asked about the responses, my dad said he had gone to the kitchen and missed some of them. "But I'll tell you what, that Tea Party response was something else. That Tea Partier guy was nuts!"

"Uh, Dad," I was like, "A woman gave the Tea Party response."

"Oh," he was like, "Then that Republican responder was off the wall. Was he the best they could find?"

2) At the corner store I go to, I was standing at the meat counter to buy stew meat, and a small cockroach lazily walked out from between a pallet of rice bags and underneath the deli counter, lingering half-in and half-out of the counter.

3) At the corner store I go to, I bought some fig jam, and when I got home, I looked at the label closely and discovered it was from Syria. How do they import that? Am I supporting terrorism or an oppressive Arab regime with my purchase? I know shit about Syria, but I have vaguely negative associations with it.

No comments: