Saturday, February 26, 2011

"I WAS A NEGRO PLAYBOY 'BUNNY'".

The book keeps repeating the word "Negro" over and over, and you can just tell that readers must have been turned on by it.

There's also some reflection about the race problem in the U.S.

Sometimes, too, it's a mix - e.g. pp. 20-21 -

It was during my first week on the job that I found out that I'd be serving Alabamans. Not only that, they were from Birmingham.

After they were seated I nervously approached their table and gave the standard greeting.

"Good evening, sirs. I'm your Bunny Anna." Without a comment, each man gave his order.

When I returned with the drinks one of the men stood up and said: "It's a privilege to meet you, Anna. Such a privilege that I've made a $50 bet that you're a native of either Ceylon or Burma.

"With skin as golden as yours, I figure you're Ceylonese, Burmese, or possibly Eurasian."

They were all watching me. Then I said, "Sir, I'm sorry, but you lose your bet. I'm 100% American Negro. And what's more, my great-great-grandmother was a slave in your home town."

He stretched out his hand and said, "Might proud to meet you, ma'am."

You can tell that this is totally where Hairspray comes from.

No comments: