Saturday, October 30, 2010

A story bearing on why I had to move.

This past Wed. at a community lunch I was sitting with a couple deans, including one from the business school, and the one from my school (the other dean, the female non-black one), was asking me how life in a different part of the city was, and I told the b-school dean I had to move because I saw students too much.

"I totally get that," she was like, and said she can only live in the same neighborhood as the university because all the b-school students tend to live downtown, and that the worst thing ever was that when she worked for the college, she had to expel a student, and that night she was at a restaurant and that same girl was her server. She said it was mortifying, and exemplified for her the worst of the weird boundaries that occur when you work where you live.

No comments: