Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Vegetarians.

So, I saw my one British / half-African / all-vegan friend at a reception on Friday, and when he asked me what I was up to that weekend, I told him that actually that night I was going to an African restaurant with friends, though the restaurant wasn't vegan-friendly at all.

"Oh, I'm used to that," he was like.

Then, I asked him my new question for vegans/vegetarians: "If a cow broke its leg and it couldn't be fixed and the veteranarian had to amputate it, would it be okay to eat the beef from that leg, since the meat didn't cause the animal any intended pain?"

He said no, because his reasons were more complicated than that, but his friend who he was there with said he knew this vegetarian from Montana who would eat roadkill. She was kind of from a hippy-dippy family that tried to live off of the land, and if they were able to get a freshly-hit deer from the highway near her house, she would eat venison from that.

"Wow," I was like, "That's the coolest thing I've ever heard. It's so morally consistent!"

"I know," the guy was like.

My one British friend, however, was still a little pissed about my question, and said that his question to me was whether I'd eat my dead grandmother, since the same logic applied there too.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Wow. I don't think I'd eat either, but as you know, not for ethical reasons.

Anonymous said...

I think el blogador would eat his dead grandmother,if he had to, with red cabbage and onions.