Monday, October 12, 2009

Exam proctoring downtown.

The other week I had a chance to proctor a human resources exam downtown -- you have to wake up early, but you get to study and get paid like $90 for it -- so I took the 6:30am morning train in.

On the train, I sat next to a middle-aged (black) professional woman and we were behind some of her middle-aged (black) professional friends, and there was this older blonde (white) woman behind us who kept dropping things and went up to get to the door to get off, but then came back 5 minutes later because she forgot her bag under her seat etc.

Anyhow, when she went back up to the door again, the (black) lady next to me gave her a look, and I was like, "What's up with her, is she on drugs or something?", and the lady immediately was like, "No, just a rough morning, that all, the poor thing," and then she went back talking to her friends about one of their sons who was in college ("He a lit major," one of them said).

As it turns out, the lady and I were both getting off at the main station downtown, and we were by the door together and started chatting. She worked for the city's public transportation unit, and I told her I was administering an exam, but she was sleepy and was like, "Good luck on that exam!"

"No no no," I was like, "I'm actually giving it, so thanks for the luck, but I don't need it."

"Oh," she was like, and then all of a sudden she brightened. "Then don't hurt them!"

No comments: