Monday, September 14, 2009

Tanning + Anselm.

The other day I was doing what I have been doing a lot this summer, slapping on some SPF 9000 and going out to the beach in the afternoon if it's a nice day and then sunbathing while I read some books for my qualifying exams, in this case the "Cur Deus Homo" of Anselm of Canterbury.

Later, when I ran into my one friend who's a second-career doctoral student studying Islamic mysticism when I was heading back to my apartment, I told her I had been tanning and reading Anselm, and then I grinned and was like, "I was tanselming!"

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Do you feel kind of outcast or isolated putting on SPF 9000, being Hispanic and all? Also, I've noticed that a lot of polls refer to "nonwhite Hispanics." Does that make you feel sad?

el blogador said...

No - it makes white hispanics the norm and the center of everything, like they are in Puerto Rican culture. I would feel bad if I was referred to as a "non-dark hispanic".