Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Tennille / Meal.

So, I got my hair cut by Tennille yesterday. She had been at a regional stylists convention that weekend, so she had this combo razor-comb thing that she used to texture my hair. As it turns out, I was her second guinea pig of the day for her now toy. She told me that the stylist doing the demo was this handsome white guy with dreads, and there was this huge crowd around the place where he was styling.

"Really?", I was like.

"Yeah," she was like, "and he was handsome. I was just starting to wonder if he was married, too, when he mentioned his wife. He must have felt the heat from me thinking."

Later, I went to this lecture by the cardinal to a local group of rich people who have a group with some big-time name but is really just an excuse for a lecture series, because the conservative Catholic group on campus sponsored students for free, though I had to cough up money at the cash bar beforehand ($9 for a glass of red wine).

As it turns out, the donors for the conservative Catholic group were there and the sponsoring prof was taking them out for dinner with the cardinal and others afterwards, and I had the feeling that the mass of students who showed up (they sat us in one reserved section) was to show how the group could turn out numbers with the money the donors give.

Us students, too, had our own dinner, and 11 of us went out to a decently well-known Italian restaurant afterwards. It turns out there was free wine and a six-course meal:

1) bread basket with olive oil and grated cheese.

2) calamari and bruschetta as appetizers for the table.

3) a caesar salad, or tomatoes calabrese (i.e., with basil and mozzarella cheese).

(n.b., each plate was huge, and the calabrese was five slices of tomato with the shit on top, and I had three other slices that various people around the table didn't finish.)

4) potato gnocchi, or risotto with four kinds of cheese.

(I had the risotto, the portions were huge.)

5) entrees of veal, salmon, or chicken cacciatore.

(I had the veal, I had like a fourth of it and it was too much, I had to take it to go.)

6) a desert tray with fresh fruit, cannoli, and tiramisu, and coffee all around.

(Somehow I managed to have bits of tiramisu and cannoli, and like half an orange and a ton of cantalope and sugared strawberries.)

Afterwards, one undergraduate who came said to the other, "That was a great meal, I find it kind of funny, though, because all their lecture series this semester are about great Christian ascetics."

This morning -- and I've never had this happen before -- I so wasn't hungry for breakfast that I just had a cup of coffee, and come lunchtime, I wasn't hungry either, though since there was a light departmental lunch I was committed to going to, I valiantly choked it down.

As I write, I'm still not that hungry. Either that was some meal, or I'm losing my touch. I still feel kind of sluggish (though always when I feel sluggish, no one seems to notice, so maybe it's just mental, and not behaviorally-observable).

4 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Do you think college conservatives might be fatter than other ones because of all the fancy dinners?

el blogador said...

There's a good possibility.

el blogador said...

Now that I think about it more, the fatness of democrats is linked to poverty, the fatness of republicans to wealth.

JUSIPER said...

That makes sense.