Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Rat / 10 / Cardinal.

When I was walking home last night from hanging out with friends, I looked up the street and I could see a rat running across it in the streetlight.

Before that, I was taking the elevator down in my one friend's building from the 10th floor, and the numbers went 10 - 9 - 8 - 10 - 7 - 6 - etc., and so I started to flip out a bit if something was wrong with the elevator and it was going to crash down through the shaft, and every creak I heard made me really nervous.

Before that, my one friend was telling me about this conference he was at that brought together clergy/professors interested in Catholic social thought with economists, and how the conversation turned to "externalities", e.g. where a factory is built in New York and pollutes and that goes down the Hudson but people around the factory aren't really affected...

Anyhow, the cardinal was there, and he asked if it was possible for there to be a universal theory of externalities, and all of the economists said that they had never thought of that before.

No comments: