Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Yellow and the Purple.

The other day I was in my dining room and I looked down at the wainscotting, and there was this weird yellow waxy shit almost like bad earwax sitting on top of it for a stretch of like two inches. I had to get a sponge out of the sink and scrub it off, and I still have no idea what the fuck it was. You think I would have seen it when I cleaned my apartment top-to-bottom a few weeks ago (dusted the wainscotting then), but somehow I didn't -- or is it new?

The other week I really, really pissed off a woman on the first floor of the library. She's this short woman in her mid-40s who seems half-Asian half-white (looks Asian, but her eyes aren't that slanted), who has her shorter-haircut dyed with big purple swathes, and walks around wearing black tops and skirts and high boots and colorful scarves.

The thing was, is that computers on the first floor are in high demand, and there wasn't one open, and when I went to one that was free, there was a backpack on the chair "saving" it, but the screen had re-set and the computer logged off, so that meant that the computer had not been sitting idle for at least 15 minutes. I sat down and had been using it for like 10 minutes (=25 minutes since the user had left the computer, almost a half hour of a computer sitting idle during peak usage time when everyone wants a computer!), when that woman walks up and is like, "Excuse me, I was using that."

I then told her that it was idle and it had reset, so I did nothing to her computer, and none other was available, so she should wait and she was like, "But I saved it, I was downstairs getting coffee and ran into a friend and talked for a while, that's all."

I then told her that that's happened to me too, but I've never had a computer reset on me, and that she should wait for another computer, since I've talked with a person at the reference desk before when this has happened at peak usage time, and that that person had said logged-off computers where people's shit is sitting out is fair game to use.

She then started having a break-down loudly and people were looking at us, and she was saying more shit about how insensitive I was, so I was like, "Pardon me, but if you have a problem, I'd be more than happy to go talk with a supervisor with you. Let's go right now, we can double-check on their policy"

At that point, she then asked me if she could send the files she was working on to herself so she could start working again when another computer freed up, and like 10 minutes after she sat down to get her files e-mailed (it was taking her forever), a computer opened up at the next terminal-cluster, so I was like, "Okay, it's yours, I'll just move over there."

I still see her around campus a lot. I think she hates me.

No comments: