Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I got me some free shit.

Yesterday evening was so nice, I decided to take my bike south for a ride in the evening after I was done with school. Like after a half-hour it got into gang territory, so I turned around on major streets and headed back north towards where I live, and when I was stopped at this one intersection, this older skinny black dude in a stained t-shirt who was hustling the intersection handing out papers to stopped cars came up to me and was like, "Here, take this flier," and I was automatically like, "No," and then he was like, "It's for a soul food restaurant that's just opened up," so I was like, "No way!" and grabbed that flier out of his hand, and then he was like, "Some bread pudding just came out of the oven, want to come and try a sample, we're just five doors down the block?", so I walked out of the intersection with him into the restaurant, and he went back and came out with not a sample of bread pudding, but a full serving, in a plastic bowl with a fork (no whipped cream, though), and I ate it while talking with the well-dressed female manager ("Lakita"), who told me that the dude who gave me the flier was the owner.

If I had had my wallet on me, I would have gotten some chicken and dumplings there for dinner, with a side of greens and another of either mac and cheese or spaghetti, but I didn't, saddly.

Afterwards, I went back to the intersection and had to push a button and wait to go across the street to start heading north again on my bike, and these two hefty black women with big shopping bags who were standing behind me started talking about me and one was like, "See, he pushed the button!", and then when I turned around, they were like, "We waited forever on the other side of the street, we had to look both ways and run to get over here," and then they waited to see if pushing the button worked for getting a walk signal, just standing there looking at the signal with their arms folded.

It was taking a while, so I joked that the button doesn't do shit, it just gives you something to do and make you less nervous while you wait, and they both thought that was funny, and when the walk signal finally did come, one of them was like, "Look, there it is!", and the other was like, "Of course, he pushed the button!", and she kept laughing at what she had said.

No comments: