Tuesday, September 9, 2008

2 interactions with black women: bus, post office.

On Sunday I had biked up to see Wall-E, and I biked back to downtown but was too tired to bike all the way back home from downtown, so I tried for the first ever time to use that bikerack on the front of busses where you can strap your bike and take it with you while you ride the bus. I had a little trouble with it, and so I gestured to the bus driver who was a black woman if it looked okay, and she shrugged animatedly and very nicely and said, "It's a new rack, it looks good to me."

Anyhow, after that, like five blocks down, we hit this huge bump, and the driver called down the length of the bus to me, "Still there!"

When I got out,too, I thanked her for her help, and told her that after seeing Wall-E and eating a couple tacos, I didn't feel like biking back home, and she was like, "I understand, that's why the city gives us those racks, I think."

Today, I went to the post office and mentioned to the clerk who was a black woman that I was mailing in my absentee ballot application form, and she started saying how her niece goes to school in Oklahoma and how they don't always count the absenteed ballots there, so her niece has been on the phone already to make sure that'll get done this election season. She then started telling me about her hometown in Alabama where she's from, and held up the lady in back of me.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

That's fantastic. But how did you like "Wall-E?"

el blogador said...

It was okay, but I'm glad I went to see it. I think reading too many reviews before I went ruined it for me (but if I hadn't've read the reviews, I wouldn't have gone and seen it).