Monday, September 8, 2008

E-mail from my one Dutch friend.

My one Dutch friend was called up by that one Iowa college he had worked for before like a week before classes started to see if he could teach an undergrad course on ancient mexican religions, something he knows nothing about, and so I wrote him to ask how that shit was going, and I heard back from him today:

I know how to pronounce Huitzilopochtli and Quetzalcoatl better than they can, and I only had to answer once "I don't know" even though I don't know anything. Students are happy as long as they are entertained, so I give them lots of articles on human sacrifice.

I really admire people who take on a course about which they know absolutely nothing. Academics get so defensive about areas where they're weak, that they oftentimes refuse to engage or learn.

No comments: