Wednesday, June 18, 2008

DEET.

So, when I was in an army surplus store today, I got a civilian version of the army pants soldiers wore in 'Nam, which are in deep green and a lightweight cotton good for hot weather, and with multiple pockets good for sticking shit in. I liked the store, especially the Jane Fonda urinal stickers they sold, and a bumpersticker that said

"VETS AREN'T FONDA JANE".

The woman also sold me some federal-issue DEET mosquito repellent, only she said apply it with the back of your hands, since if it gets on plastic, it melts it. She said once she forgot to do that, and next thing she knew, the keys of the cash register in the store were tacky and stayed that way for a long time, and once another time she had a bottle in the back of the desk drawer which spilled, which she only realized when she pulled the drawer all the way out and found out that her tape dispenser was a light blue puddle.

4 comments:

JUSIPER said...

I hope you're not taking those army pants to Africa.

Anonymous said...

not to mention that DEET is poison and that version is no longer on the market.

el blogador said...

I am taking the pants to Africa (a couple friends have worn them in the past), and DEET is in Backwoods Off, which is sold over the counter and contains a higher concentration.

JUSIPER said...

Yes, DEET is still sold. I remember getting some before going to Brazil,though in the end I never really needed it.