Friday, April 4, 2008

More on my 30s haircut.

So yesterday two black women at school, one secretary and one dean, both told me that my 30s haircut looked good and that it was a fade, and that I should keep it for a while. The one secretary was like, "My son wears a fade," and when I was like, "What?" and she explained to me what a fade was and was like, "Don't worry, I'll hip you into all the black lingo," I laid it out for her and was like, "I don't know if you've noticed this, [the secretary's name], but fades work for black or hispanic guys, and I'm white," and when she was like, "But it would still look good," I was like, "I don't know, in my life I've been called many things, but 'soulful' is not one of them," at which point she laughed and told me that I had issues.

Today when I was going to the coffee shop I ran into two of the secretaries coming out of it, the one who's black and the other one who pretended to get pissed at me because she acted as if I assumed she would recognized a 30s haircut, and they were like, "So how is the star?", I said fine, and that now that I was a star they should treat me like [an actor from the movie I was in] and go and get my coffee for me, and at that point the black secretary, who was drinking coffee, stopped, swallowed her coffee, and gave me the eye, and was like, "Did you see that? I choked."