Thursday, April 3, 2008

My 30s haircut.

I've realized wearing my 30s haircut that it's not at all stylish, though it's retro... Absolutely no sideburns and short sides going up to a lump of sharply-parted long hair on top that goes down the back of the head just a little too far just doesn't look cool, I guess. It really makes you realize that when people praise something retro, they don't mean anything retro, but rather things that are retro that are in the bounds of what people think today are cool, so when they praise something as cool and say "that's so retro", they're really meaning, "that's stylish according to the standards of now", so I guess what my point is, why praise anything for being retro at all, since retro is not at all the point of the matter? Anything that's retro-cool seems to have to find resonance within the narrow bounds of modern taste, though no one thinks about this or would probably admit it when pushed.

No comments: