Saturday, January 26, 2008

Went to an Australia Day Party.

Last night I went to an Australia Day Party, hosted by an Australian who's in my program and her husband and a couple of their friends. When I went in the door, they had Australian flags everywhere, and a big plate of fairy bread (shitty white bread slathered in butter and the round sprinkles they call 'hundreds and thousands', which is the consummate kiddie-party treat in Australia), and I ate a couple of pieces of the fairy bread and had a beer and made sure everyone else tried the fairy bread too. At one point I also was in the kitchen talking with people and eating the strawberries and blueberries from the strainer that were left over from the pavlova they had made up, only to discover that they had a second pastry shell and I had eaten most of the fruit for it.

Anyhow, the Australian who's in my program is married to a rowdy Australian episcopal priest, and when the kids from next door who are like eleven and are these apathetic goth girls with dyed purple hair and black fingernails and fishnet stockings on their arms stopped by around eleven, he gave them stuff to drink, and they sat in the corner the rest of the night sipping Smirnoff Ices from the bottle, which was very atmospheric, though not necessarily what you'd expect at an Australia Day Party. The Australian who's in my program, when she found out, went to her husband and was like, "[his first name]!", and he was like, "What?", since he didn't see anything so bad in giving eleven year olds malt beverages.

Later, I was in the kitchen with him and his Australian friend and this cheery girl with big tits, and when the Australian friend asked the cheery girl with the big tits how she knew the rowdy Australian episcopal priest, she was like, "I work with [the priest's first name]," and so he was like, "Oh, so you're a priest too?", and she was like, "No, actually I run a preschool," at which point I stepped in and started addressing the friend all serious-like and was like, "She's his supplier." After that, all the conversation stopped, until the priest told me how awful that was, and the cheery girl with the big tits, who was pretty shocked, like she was running through all the kids in her class in her head and seeing awful things happen to them, asked me to leave, which I didn't; I just avoided her the rest of the night.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Amazing. And no one asked you to leave a second time

el blogador said...

I told this story to my mother this morning, and she laughed, and said that it sounds like the girl with the big tits doesn't have a good sense of humor.