Friday, January 25, 2008

Barry Manilow concert two Saturdays ago.

Tomorrow it'll be two weeks since I went to go see Barry Manilow at the local arena, since he's been touring his "Music and Passion" tour around the country (isn't that great, what other perform could not only name in all seriousness their tour "Music and Passion", but also pull it off?!?!!?).

Looking back, I think my biggest memory is the glowsticks - they were being sold for ten bucks a pop and had "MANILOW - MUSIC AND PASSION" written on the side in the same font as the words appeared in in advertisments and on the giant sign suspended above the stage, and fat middle-aged women everywhere were buying them, and as the arena filled up, you could just see these specks of bright green everywhere, and the specks hopped around a bit as people cheered during all the songs, and when Barry sang "Can't Smile Without You", the specks swayed in unison back and forth as the entire crowd got into the music.

I remember, too, how before the concert began, me and my two friends I went with went to the center of the third tier and stole better seats (we had begun up on the side), and after twenty minutes I turned around to see how the seats behind us were filling up, and I saw this fat middle-aged man who was bald and had a moustache with this glowstick -- the only man I saw at the concert who had a glowstick! -- and he was shaking it back and forth in his lap to get it to light up, only it looked like he was jerking himself off hard, so I told my friends to look back and up a few rows of seats, they did and they weren't too happy.

I wanted, too, to buy a glowstick for my one friend who loves Barry and couldn't come to the concert, but I'm cheap and ten bucks was too much to pop for one -- I'm proud to say that after the concert I went down to the bottom of the tier and looked up to see if I could see any glowsticks that had fallen behind seats and no one had retrieved because they didn't want them anymore or they were too fat to bend down and get them, and I ended up finding one for free, they were so easy to see since the arena was still semi-dark and they were glowing bright green under the seats --- so I was saying to my friends after the opening act and before Barry came on (and of course before I did end up finding a glowstick for free), that I should just accost a forty-year old fat woman in the hallways and be like all suave and be like, "Hey lady, give me that glowstick, and I'll let you suck me off."

My friends weren't too happy (they're women), and one was like, "Are you really going to do that?", and I was like, "No, not now, I'll do it after the concert when they're all heated up with no place to go."

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

Oh my God. BTW there were glowsticks in the Vegas performance that was one of the links I sent you in my email.