Saturday, January 26, 2008

Proctored the SATs this morning.

This morning I proctored the SATs, as well as some standardized test for eighth graders that I wasn't familiar with. The parents were something else -- the mom of this girl who came late, right before testing started, demanded to know how the kids would be treated during the five-minute breaks when all the girls would head for the three stalls in the bathroom and they wouldn't be all able to go during the allotted time -- but, thankfully, since the testing site had changed on campus, for the first hour I was stationed by the doors to the old site and had to redirect people, so I missed most of it.

Interestingly, the old site was commandeered by the med school, and when I met the guy who was coming in to set up, he told me that groups of second year med students were coming in to practice breat and pelvic exams on live female patients all morning. I was like, "You mean mammograms and the [and here I put a couple of my fingers together and drew them apart as if forcing open a tight coin purse, and I made a sound like, 'ee-yerp']," and the guy was like, "Yeah," and then when I asked some more, I found out that there's this trained group of highly-paid women who go around to all the city's med schools and do two-to-three hour sessions of exams with students and make like $130-140 per session. "But do they need people for testicular exams?", I was like, and the guy then told me yes, but it also involves rectal exams, some times as many as four in a row, and that you have to know people to get in, and that beyond that they prefer really old guys since they tend to have enlarged prostates that are easier for the students to feel, so they have a select group of local old men who have the endurance for the multliple rectal exams who have been coming up and been being felt up for years now. Though, he did give me the name of a woman to contact on the off-chance they needed someone.

After this, I went back to the testing site, and encountered that mom who was bitching about the restrooms (I'm getting out of chronological order here, sorry). "And why did they change the testing site anyways?", she was asking, and so I was like, "Do you really want to know?", stressing the 'really', and when she said yes, I was like, "Med school students are giving test mammograms to women and doing the [I made prying-open-the-coin-purse motion in the air in front of me, though without the 'ee-yerp' sound] and rectal exams to men there all morning for practice, sometimes as many as four in a row to a single individual," and when she was like, "Is that all?", I was like, "No, they're having coffee and donuts first," since I the guy I had met was bringing a Dunkin' Donuts "Box o'Joe" and a big flat of donuts, too, when I met him.

No comments: