Friday, December 28, 2007

Caramel Cob.

When I was at the drugstore this afternoon with my dad picking up my grandfather's medications, my dad was checking out and asked me if I wanted anything, and I didn't, but then I saw a tray of Caramel Cobs sitting on the counter -- they're these caramel corn packs packed into the shape of an ear of corn and put in a plastic sleeve that's half transparent and half corn-silk and -leaf graphic -- and threw it on the counter and had him buy it for me.

There was this slightly plump late 30s lady with dyed red hair and a lavender sweatshirt with flowers embroidered on it standing next to us at the counter, too, so I was like, "Man, did you see that Caramel Cob, isn't it the coolest thing ever?", and she was like, "Yeah, they remind me of that one movie with the children, and the you know...", and she seemed confused and her thought trailed off.

"Oh, 'Willy Wonka'?", I was like, finishing her thought.

"No, 'Children of the Corn'," she was like, and when she said that, this big blast of alcohol-smelling breath just whapped me in the face.