Monday, October 29, 2007

Dream: Return.

This afternoon when I was reading 1st Samuel for my Hebrew Bible class I got to thinking about Samuel raising Saul's spirit and then I suddenly remembered another dream I had last night.

Like five years ago a friend of my dad's died in a house fire, and me and my parents were standing in the living room with my dad's friend's family, only it wasn't the living room of their rebuilt house, it had just drywall and a few nondescript chairs and couch or whatever, though at the time I knew it was their house, and my dad's friend walks in with his wife. At first I didn't say anything since I saw him but somehow didn't notice him, and then after a silence everyone started talking calmly. It turns out that instead of going back into the burning house after making it outside -- he actually did this in real life because of confusion from smoke inhalation -- it turns out that he somehow had wandered off and wasn't the same, and had been living in a nearby town for five years and working menial jobs and not really using his name since he didn't really know it or think about it and somehow he never filed taxes and surfaced on anyone's radar or anything. Somehow he had come back to the family, only he really didn't remember anything. I remember he and my dad went to go to the basement and watch football on the rec room tv down there as they used to, and my dad's friend made some joke, only I could tell that his humor wasn't what it was, it was somehow less than it was and had a dull feel to it, and he really didn't know what he used to do, only he was reading cues from the situation and trying to make everyone think that he was this person everyone else was telling him he was. He and my dad went into the basement and I felt dead inside since everything was different.

After that, I don't remember any more of the dream.

No comments: