Monday, August 27, 2007

Was at a hipster bar on Saturday night.

I was at this one hipster bar in a neighborhood that's thankfully far away from me on Saturday night, thankfully far away in the sense that I couldn't stand to live among the hipsters, though not in the sense that I couldn't stand to live among their kindly neighbors, who happen to include many Puerto Ricans, some of whom are given to running reasonably-priced and even quite tasty restaurants.

Anyways, at the hipster bar they served cheap beer in $6 small pitchers that people would buy and drink straight out of -- it's pre-packaged fun! -- but the chunky pierced waitress with dyed pink hair was a space cadet and didn't bring me mine, and when I asked after ten minutes she didn't seem to remember I had ordered anything and they were temporarily out and she made me buy the smaller size, though within two minutes she was brining out small pitchers for other people. I guess they have slightly larger small pitchers that they give to their favorite customers, who mostly seem to be other hipsters who go along with all the posing of the waitresses and their hipster friends without blinking an eye.

Anyhow, there was this live band playing in back, and they opened up with Neil Diamond's "Solitary Man" before going into their own stuff and then doing "Solitary Man" again towards the end of their set. (Neil Diamond has quite the hipster following, which ruins him for me -- it's about the only thing that could.) A bunch of Asians were in the bar for some reason, and my friend noticed it to, and I kept wanting him to ask "Why do you think they're here?" so I could be like, "I don't know, to rock 'n' rorr?", but he never asked me that, saddly.

No comments: