Friday, August 31, 2007

More Maria Monk for the weekend...

Arno press reprint pp.20-21:

…when I first went to confession, which I did to Father Richards, in the old French church, (since taken down,) I heard nothing improper; and it was not until I had been serveral times, that the priests became more and more bold, and were at length indecent in their conduct when I confessed to them in the Sacristie. This subject I believe is not understood nor suspected among Protestants; and it is not my intention to speak of it very particularly, because it is impossible to do so without saying things both shameful and demoralizing.

I will only say here, that when quite a child, I had from the mouths of the priests at confession what I cannot repeat, with treatment corresponding; and several females in Canada have recently assured me, that they have repeatedly, and indeed regularly, been required to answer the same and other like questions, many of which present to the mind deeds which the most iniquitous and corrupt heart could hardly invent.

The way sections of this are phrased reminds me of parts of the late 19th-c. naughty-books a friend of mine collects.

No comments: