Wednesday, August 29, 2007

E-mail from my mother: Trying so hard to be an involved parent.

Back at the beginning of the summer I wrote up this approx. 1500-word book review for myself that summarizes my take on this one book that seems to cover the topic I might do dissertation work in but is actually pretty darn inadequate, since I always found myself having to go over and over again with people why the book's argumentative framework was seriously flawed.

Anyways, after I did this, I sent the book reviews to my mother, who coudn't get through it past the first page. She told me as she has before that she's happy that I'm happy but she really has never cared for the study of religion ever since she was a kid and her eyes glaze over just thinking about it and she really doesn't want to hear about my studies. But, I was surprised, because in an e-mail last month she said she was going to try to read the book review again. I reminded her of this last week and asked her what she thought, but she didn't know what I was talking about and asked me what book review, so I reminded her which, and she just e-mailed me this:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....that book review. Actually, I just put it, last nigh [sic], into my bag to take to the cabin. I think I'll tackle it after a few Seagram's.

No comments: