Friday, August 2, 2024

A surprise at the bottom of my work-bag...

...when I was adjusting something in it as I was leaving work the other week, at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now:

A rough kind of plastic feel on something oval, that I gradually realize is an avocado, and as I feel it more and more and go to pick it up and take it out, my thumb goes right through the sort-of-hardened avocado skin shell on it, and I realize that it's beginning to rot, like it's a week or perhaps two over-ripe, though not more.

. . .

(Like a week or so before that I had gotten an email when I was working a lunch shift that there was a flash sale on sweet cherries at the local grocery store -- $1.99 a pound! -- and so I headed there after work to get some, and besides my like four bags of cherries, I also picked up some avocados for my avocados-on-toast thing that I do for breakfast, and since I didn't have my usual canvas grocery bags, I had to get some plastic bags at the grocery store, but I also used my work-bag to take stuff home, including some cherries and all of the avocados, and I guess I accidentally missed one in there when I was unpacking the bag and I left it in there all that time, to rot.)

No comments: