Thursday, August 1, 2024

A response to a tour of my cottage...

...by my (just graduated-from-college) (front) (upstairs) neighbors, who are moving out, and who I got to let me tour their apartment so I can see what it looks like, and offered them a tour of my cottage in return:

The (shorter) (skinnier) (jumpy) one (stepping inside): "Smells like a cottage."

. . .

(As I often do all day, I had all the doors and windows closed to keep the cool air inside from the previous night -- I don't have A/C, to save money and to be environmental and to be more in-touch with natural temperature cycles -- and there was a a strong stale espresso smell inside, and perhaps sauerkraut from my breakfast, and also a little condensation since the tile floor can do that inside when it's hot out during the summer, beyond the trouble that water has in evaporating after I take my shower in my little shower-booth that's tucked inside my bathroom that's tucked inside my cottage... I wonder which particular part or parts of the smell made him think that, or was it all of it, and if he could have parsed that reaction, or was it something primal and automatic, like an animal, and so he would have been unable to, it was just a visceral reaction, because as for me, I don't even notice it, you know.)

No comments: