Thursday, July 4, 2024

A conversational peculiarity I've noticed...

...in customers at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, who turned out to come from this one town elsewhere in the state, which suffered a famous mass shooting a while ago:

When you ask where they're from, they vaguely reference a suburban area like many people do, but then when you ask them again where they're from, they don't say the town name, they just repeat that same general descriptor, and so you have to ask them the question yet again, and then at that point they mention the name of the town that is now instantly identified with being the site of a famous mass shooting.

This has happened twice now with me, with two different sets of customers, and I try not to react and be like, "Oh, you're from that place where that shooting happened!"

With the first set of customers, I mentioned that I had once bicycled through that town on a long bicycle ride years ago, and I think with the second one, I was all innocuous and like, "Oh, I used to pass through there on commuter rail when I was on my way to [another town]."

Anything to give them normalcy, again.


No comments: