Friday, December 1, 2023

"The easy life."

It is still so amazing to me how easy the Healthcare Marketplace works in the college town that I now live in.

Providers are the same, rates are pretty much the same, and you just estimate your yearly income for the next year and you're good to go, and you're with all the same people you had before, and all on practically the same basic highly-subsidized plan that's like the thing that they try to herd everyone into.

None of those narrow and eternally-churning networks that undermined basic healthcare access, that I was increasingly facing for years in the city that I used to live in, before I moved.

In terms of healthcare access, my life there had become increasingly unsustainable, in ways that it hadn't before and during the first few years of the Affordable Care Act.

I really don't know what people with economic profiles like mine do there...  I guess not get basic care because it's frustrating and you have to fight for it and waste enormous amounts of time, and then flame out in healthcare crises that tend to be associated with bankruptcies?

Just, what a mess.

It's just appalling that our federal government is shoveling so much money into subsidizing basic plans in major metros, when functionally they're not basic plans at all, but much less.

No comments: