Tuesday, November 28, 2023

More (Thai) restaurant happenings...

...a bit ago at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now:

1) A (young) (clean-cut) (shinily dressed-up for everyday) (hispanic) couple come in, and the one guy is confused about what type of curry he wants and he can't speak enough (English) to the point where he can explain what he had before and wants now, and so he picks up his phone right there and puts it on speaker and calls a friend who explains it to him in (Spanish), and it turns out that they're friends from church with my one (Pentecostal) (Guatemalan) coworker, who's working in the back and who answered his phone for them, and whose name on the phone is some (Spanish) nickname that's very different from what we call him at work.

Later, too, I notice that their order of crab rangoons has one extra one in it.

And, still later, when I ask how their food is, I explain in (clear) and (simple) (English) that if there is a problem with the food, it's because of my one (Pentecostal) (Guatemalan) coworker and we will have to punish him, and I gently hit the fist of my one hand into the palm of the other while I stand by the table, and the (guy) of the couple chuckles.

2) I bring in some meat sticks that I had bought from the local university's meat science program, and I cut them up and leave them on a plate for everyone.

They're only okay but they mostly go, and when I try to pass around the last ones to get rid of them, the one (younger) (female) (Guatemalan) coworker has a light bulb go off and she takes the final piece and walks over to the deep-fryer and fires it into a basket, and she deep fries it before eating it.

And, she says it's much better.

"I wish we had know that earlier," I tell my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker, and she tells me that our one (older) (Thai) coworker who's a whiz at the phones tried microwaving it, and it was better that way, too.

3) When we do another puzzle that involves countries and capitals, my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker says that the (Asian) countries are easy for her and my one (older) (Thai) coworker who's a whiz at the phones, but other countries, not so much.

Like, they both thought the capital of Australia was Sydney, and I had to say it was Canberra, but they knew Jakarta for Indonesia down cold.

No comments: