Thursday, June 15, 2023

The Friday around graduation:

1) I get in like five minutes late for my shift, and the restaurant is packed with all of these tables that had been pulled out, and the owner seats me down with this high pile of print-outs and has me unwrap and stuff a bunch of new big plastic menus that he had bought.

2) A(n older) (white) man at a six-top when it's still early asks if I moisturize and use conditioner, and I say, yes, actually I do, moisturizer was one of my New Year's resolutions and a few weeks earlier my one friend had asked me if I used conditioner in my hair because it looked good and so I made sure to use it the previous night so I looked good for the rush of business that we were sure to get, and it was nice that someone noticed.

"This guy's a keeper!" I told the table, as I hustled off to go do something else.

3) Back by the back water station, there's a large table of like 7 or 8 and they're waiting for people, and like one of the last two people to arrive is like this (tall) (big) (older) (six-foot five) (white) guy who not only has to pull his chair out because he's big, but also has his chair pulled out extraordinarily far out from the table on top of that, too, which in the tight quarters keeps us from accessing the water station to fill up glasses to bring to all of the new tables.

"Excuse me sir," I say right after I ask him to scoot his chair in just a touch, "Would it maybe be possible to perhaps switch chairs with that lady over there?"

And, he looks up at me and he's just angry, and is like, "Then why did you put a chair here in the first place?!", and a lady from across the table hisses, "Honey," and then when I leave the water station like a minute later, I can see out of the corner of my eye that they're getting up to move and change places.

4) Lots of moms wore outfits in the school colors, like with a dress in the conservative color, and the "pop!" loud other color as an accent, like mixed into the pattern or as a purse or something like that, just all very coordinated.

One (skinny) (pleasant) (bespectacled) (South Asian-American) (STEM grad student) who I recognized and who I think I had bantered with once before was in with his parents and he said that he had brought them in because I was a good waiter, and his mother was very pleased when I asked about her outfit that was like that, and she said, yes, she had planned it that way.

Her purse was very loud, but it was also very cool.

5) After I'd been there like six hours and we're closing soon, I see a (Guatemalan) kitchen worker who's been working all that time, too, and it was the first time that we had seen each other all shift, we were so busy and stuck at our separate jobs in different parts of the restaurant.

6) One of our last tables of the night is a large table of (Latinos) from the local big city who were in for an MBA graduate -- I always ask all of the tables, "Do we have a graduate here?", and then ask what degree -- and the one (thin) (older) grandmother is just immaculately put together, with great-looking glasses and tasteful jewelry and a very elegant and understated dress.

And, I tell her and her daughter the graduate's mom that she should win an award for the best-dressed customer of the weekend, since it looks like she's someone from Manhattan who's into fashion.

"Your kids should know that grandma has style," I was like, and I meant it, and the grandma laughed and looked very pleased.

It was true!

No comments: