Thursday, May 4, 2023

Indian hell-wife (2 of 2): Old Indian hell-wife.

So, a few weeks ago at the (Thai) restaurant, this (older) (Indian) woman and a (vaguely Asian-looking) meek guy with glasses and two (biracial) (female) kids come in to eat, and the one kid is quiet but asks a lot of questions about the broth in different dishes, as well as requests two pairs of chopsticks, one for herself and one for the other girl, though she's the only one who ends up using any of them.

But, after the two older people order teas, I bring out a pot of water to leave on the table like I always do, and the (older) (Indian) woman fills each of their cups, and then goes to send the thermos back with me, so, it strikes me as odd, but I take it.

And, I have to come back to the table twice, because she says they're ready to order and she gives me her order and the order for her husband, but neither of the college-age kids is ready to order, yet.

Anyhow, later the restaurant is getting super slammed, and the lady motions to me, and she asks me to bring them more hot water.

So, I was like, What the fuck, and I acted confused and was like, "I thought that I had brought you a thermos?".

"There's no room," she was like, which wasn't really true at that time, since there was space enough on the table for a thermos, the appetizers that were out weren't really taking up that much space.

"Here, let me clear stuff for you," I was like, "And I can get you a new thermos."

So, I did, even though she insisted that I not clear her husband's plate that he said that I should clear, and that he had to insist to her that I could clear, before I finally could take it away.

Anyhow, later after they got their meals, I saw her sending back the thermos again with someone else, and though I refilled their waters (no ice), I really didn't interact with their table much, and then when I was running 7 (!) different credit cards for a different large table that all had split bills, she walks up to the front register where I'm at and she asks me if she can pay with her smartphone (she probably means something like ApplePay) and also if she can get two boxes, and so I'm like, "Yes," and I say that after I finish getting payments together for the table that I'm helping right then (the credit card machine is spitting out receipts, and I have all of these little bill things and multiple credit cards lined up right there in front of her!), I'll be there to help them, probably like in five minutes.

"Okay," she's like, and she turns around and goes back to the table.

Then, in like a minute or two, while I'm still running credit cards for that same table, she's back again, asking me something about if we have birthday candles, and right then my one (middle-aged) (Thai) coworker who's a whiz at the phone pops by to drop something off at the host stand, so I'm like, "Here, Ma'am, she can help you," and so she starts talking to my coworker, and all of a sudden the conversation morphs into a question about if we have a free birthday cake we can bring out, and she'd  also like to order mango and sticky rice for dessert (!).

"Can you do?", my coworker asks me, but since I don't know about the birthday cake stuff, I'm like, "I'm busy with this table right now," gesturing to my credit card stuff, and so the (older) (Indian) hell-wife goes off with my one coworker, who goes to take care of everything for her.

. . .

(And, in case you were wondering, they left like $7 on an $88 bill, to crisply make the check go to exactly $95. It really is amazing that people can be so precise about numbers like that, and be totally unaware or disregardful of tipping customs in another country, which are also related to, incidentally, numbers. And to think that they'd want that same waiter to run back and forth the length of the restaurant to bring them fresh hot water every time they need it, too, instead of having a simple thermos on their table. Just inconsiderate up and down the line.)

No comments: