Saturday, April 29, 2023

Work changes, redux (1 of 2): First interaction.

So, I go into work at the (Thai) restaurant the other day, and who do I see in the kitchen, but my one (Pentecostal) (Guatemalan) coworker who had said bye to everyone since he was leaving permanently for a new job.

And, there he was at the stove, just cooking like everything was back to normal.

So, I planned my (Spanish) a head of time, and when I saw him later, I was like, "Un hombre llamado [his first name] trabajaba aqui" ('A man called [his first name] was working here').

Then, I delivered the punchline.

"Tu cara es la misma, exactamente" ('Your face is the same, exactly'), and I said that with a very, very deadpan and serious mug.

Then, I turned to go back to work, and, in the first time that I've ever heard him laugh, he let out this extremely high-pitched giggle something like a Furby would make, like where his voice jumped up two octaves and he was like, tee-hee-hee.

No comments: