Friday, March 31, 2023

Three (Thai) restaurant happenings:

1) I walk up to a table to refill water and this (middle-aged) (not unclassy) (white) (female) customer is mimicking a voice like she's repeating a conversation and is like, "...I'll fix your shoes if you have sex with me...", and I have to stand there and pour water and ignore their conversation, and the people don't acknowledge my presence, but just go on talking as before without shame.

2) After a serious three-top from some applied arts department at the local university orders crab rangoons and eggplant tempura for their appetizers, I'm like, "Okay, I'll go throw that in right now, some deep-fried goodness coming right up...", and they all seem deeply amused by my use of the phrase "deep-fried goodness."

3) When I recommend this one stir-fry made with deep-fried breaded chicken and say that one of my old (Thai) coworkers who's gone now used to love it and ate a ton before he went back to Thailand and I'm like "it's not real Thai food, but it's good," the one (middle-aged) (white) lady to whom I'm recommending the dish is like, "No, you don't say that, it's fusion, everything is fusion now!"

And, they order it, only they want no green bell peppers in the stir fry, only red ones, so I have to run in the back and see if it's okay to do that and the (Guatemalan) kitchen guys make me go to the back office and ask the boss (and he asks what dish and I tell him and he says okay, and then the kitchen guys give me a look since they have to go and pick out peppers from the standard red-and-green mix that they have chopped up and ready to go for frying).

No comments: