Monday, December 5, 2022

Potential life trajectory of a barely known coworker.

So, one of the (Guatemalans) from back in the kitchen is moving home soon, after living here and working at the (Thai) restaurant for more than a decade.

I don't know him much, he's shorter and very thin but with a huge inset double chin, and he always wears these big wrap-around safety glasses when he's cooking at the huge industrial stovetop, but he seems very nice, like he seemed genuinely appreciative when I once thanked him for my staff meal by saying "Gracias por mi comida, como siempre" ('Thank you for my food, as always'), and he seemed genuinely nice and amused when he corrected the way that I say "Excuse me" in Spanish, telling me that it's not "pardones," but "pardon" (where the f*ck did I pick up that that word is a plural? I must have been saying it that way for years, and no-one ever corrected me). 

Anyhow, my one (young) (Thai) (newlywed) coworker asked him what he's going to do back in Guatemala, and he said that he's thinking of opening up a (Thai) restaurant.

I mean, why not? He certainly knows how to cook a range of the food.

But, my one coworker said she wasn't sure there'd be a huge market for it.

No comments: