Tuesday, November 29, 2022

The smile of a coworker.

So like once a week I work with the one (late middle-aged) (Thai) woman who's been at the restaurant for like ten years, and who is a blaze at taking orders over the phone.

And, she's not talkative or super friendly, but she isn't mean or anything, either, and it's fine to work with her, since it's just a day at work, without any drama, though usually without many substantive coworker interactions outside of what's necessary for actual job duties.

The other week, though, when it came time to order our staff meal, I asked her if we could do beef pad see you, and she said she doesn't eat beef, but pork or chicken is fine, and so I asked her if we could order pork pad see you, and she said that was fine, and then I thanked her a lot, "Since usually I don't care, but today I have a big taste for pad see you, and I just really, really want some pad see you today," and for some reason that gave her a big smile -- maybe because a (white) person really wanted this particular form of (Thai) food, and she could see that I did indeed really, really want it on that particular day?

I wonder if her other (white) (American) coworkers behave like me.

No comments: