Saturday, November 12, 2022

Stump.

The other week I was going out to the back alley from my cottage to go put something in the neighboring apartment building's dumpster -- my one neighbor was bitching a bit ago about small bags with vegetable scraps, I think, and so why use my own trash for that? -- and as I went up to the dumpster to throw something in it, something scuttled at the tree line right behind it, and all of a sudden a squirrel jumps out away from me at eye level, and I notice that in the treeline there's this gigantic rotting stump the height of a man that I had somehow never really noticed before.

Like a week after that when I was walking through the alley, I stopped and looked at it more, and even stepped onto the edge of a neighbor's yard to peek around and look into it, some.

There's just these huge decaying chunks tumbled into the inside off from the ring of edge around it, almost like a miniature collapsing volcano crater.

It's really an attractive place for an animal to be. I know that if I was a squirrel, I'd want to go hang out in there.

No comments: