Friday, November 18, 2022

Some restaurant stories (1 of 3): Coworker.

So, at the (Thai) restaurant where I now work, I overlap with the wife from the (young) (Thai) (married) couple a lot.

She likes getting fried rice and beef for the staff meal -- if you leave at the same time, the place prefers that you order the same thing, to cut down on work for the kitchen - but I try to not get the beef, since I'm afraid with all the fried stuff that I've been having and then beef on top of that, that my cholesterol will go through the roof.

But, the other week I'd been eating healthily, and so I suggested to her that we get some beef that day.

"Every once in a while is okay," I was like, "But not too often, otherwise I'll be working and I'll have a heart attack and then you'll have to work alone again at lunches."

(She had told me that this summer they were so short-staffed that she had to work alone a lot of days at lunch, and on those days she wouldn't open up the patio and let people sit outside, since the distance to go out there was too great and if she did that she wouldn't have been able to manage all of the tables.)

"And then you'll be a ghost," she was like, playing along with the idea of me getting a heart attack from eating beef too much.

Also, after a huge table of like five (young) (Indian) people, we could see on the credit card bills that they all tipped between $1.40 and $2, which didn't even reach 15% at the higher end.

"Indians don't know how to tip properly," she was like. "Thai people too, but I learned here."

No comments: