Saturday, October 8, 2022

Wage decay observations.

My front neighbor who knows my one art school colleague who wears women's clothes observed the other day that they really, really want to buy their own place so they don't have to deal with rude upstairs neighbors anymore, but they can't because their job pays so low.

(And, they have contract campaign signs in their window, so I know that it's a union job, for what that's worth; they're some sort of counselor at the local university, and have been for years.)

I also had read something about how some lower-level higher education admin jobs and many social work jobs now all require graduate study, but they don't pay enough to the point where you can afford to pay back your degree in a timely manner.

I also also finally saw someone recognize that non-profit jobs have collapsed as a sector, which I mentioned to my mother, and she was like, "But you've been saying that for years."

No comments: