Monday, October 3, 2022

Mosquito revelation.

My one (white) colleague from Mississippi was surprised at the amount of mosquitos outside my little back alley cottage where I live now, when we sat out there and had coffee this past weekend.

I was telling him that I actually have to put on not only long sleeve shirts and pants when I'm sitting outside, but sneakers, too, since if I ever just wear sandals, the mosquitos actually just go and bite through my socks.

"What color are your socks you wear?", he was like.

"Black," I was like.

"That's probably it," he was like, and he said that he read somewhere once that mosquitos gravitate to landing on very black things as background camouflage for themselves and that he noticed once after that that once when he was walking around in shorts and sandals and black socks, that he was getting a lot of bites through his socks on his feet, but none on his legs, even though his legs were just right out there and all exposed because he was wearing shorts.

So, he thinks that that's what that is.

No comments: