Friday, September 16, 2022

A shattering watermelon.

The other week I finally busted open the small watermelon that I'd gotten at the local farmer's market, after I'd finished up the other one that had been in my fridge.

With my watermelons, I always cut off the upper top like a lid so that I can scoop out chunks from inside the middle, and then finally I saw around the edges and remove the rinds and gnaw them down once that middle part is gone.

Only, when I went to do that with this watermelon, as soon as I stuck the knife in, it was like something was tight and released, and a crack shot down the side, and as I sawed off the lid on top, the crack widened even more, like the watermelon was tightly bound up but could finally let it all out now and could breathe.

There was a little bit of juice puddling under it on the counter, but otherwise the watermelon was good, so I stuck it on a plate and stuck it in my fridge like I always do.

I've checked a few times to make sure that there's not so much juice on the plate that it spills off into the refrigerator, but that hasn't happened yet, and I don't think it will.

No comments: