Saturday, August 27, 2022

Rehab center revelations.

A few weeks ago I got a text from a friend...

The rehab place where I worked and quit was in the local paper for getting the highest class of fine from the state for some stuff that happened during the first quarter of the year, where someone was falling repeatedly and they didn't figure out a way to prevent it!

I'm shocked, but I'm also not surprised.

I could see that post-Omicron staff churn was breaking down basic continuity of care for patients.

It really does make me glad that I'm out of it, and I do wonder how long it will take for some normalcy to return... 

I was telling this to the one (older) (female) bartender at the one patio brewery that I go to, and she was shocked, since the place has a reputation as one of the best in the area.

She also said that she was going to get her hands on the article to send it along to her daughter, who's a nurse and who used to work there in a lower-level job way back when.

It really is surprising, how many sectors of the economy have just gone to hell the past ten or fifteen years.

Like I was telling my mom, in situations with understaffing places are theoretically supposed to raise wages to attract new employees, but instead they continue to pay low wages, work their current staff to death amidst understaffing, and then try to move on and get new employees, all while they hemorrhage all that time and money on training and produce really bad outcomes, and, in healthcare, even deadly ones.

When you've raced to the bottom and ended up with a churn model of staffing like Amazon warehouses and have a ton of new staff or fill-in staff from agencies and people quitting all the time, you just don't have people passing along information on patients, or people who know the patients. It really makes you wonder how a place can continue to function like that (and the secret is, they can't).

No comments: