Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Campus stroll.

One of the things that I like about this campus here is how they have all of these historic plaques marking the discoveries of STEM faculty, and some of them are really obscure and almost surreal, where you wonder if it's like a surrealist joke installation by some local artist.

The other weekend evening when I was taking "my constitutional," I passed by one and sent a picture to my one professor friend who studies (modern) (Czech) literature, telling her this very thought.

And, she wanted to know if that particular discovery was made right at that very spot.

Later, I happened to pass by a bike pumping station with this like motorized gas injector and all of these cords and clamps hanging off of it, so on the spur of the moment, I decided to take a picture of it and I sent it to her, with the accompanying text -

This is where ROTC scholars discovered torture techniques employed at Abu Gharaib.

- and after that like ten minutes later I took a picture by a non-descript dirty corner of a building of a hedge and a bunch of scuffled woodchips, and I sent it to her with the accompanying text -

This is where the drunken Sigma Sigma Alpha sister was dragged in the event that started the Great Title IX Lawsuit of '94.

- and then I wrote -

It's astonishing; everywhere you walk here, there's history.

- and then -

It's like Europe.

. . .

No comments: