Monday, July 25, 2022

Animals lately seen (3 of 3): Silhouetted bird of prey.

The other night I ran a quick nighttime errand, and as I was walking down the dusky street near my house, I can see up ahead on the sidewalk this gigantic side-silhouetted bird of prey just sitting in the middle of the sidewalk, like with its wings folded down to the right and then to the left its big crooked neck and its head hanging down, almost like some kind of buzzard, though the proportions seemed exaggerated for a buzzard and it was quite a bit bigger than the hawks I've seen around here.

And, I start to wonder what it's doing up there, and if it has some animal thing like rabies and that's why it's in an unnatural place, and I wonder if it might attack me if I come up too close while it still doesn't move.

And then, all of a sudden, it like unfolds itself and lowers, and I can see that it's actually a mild-mannered black-and-white cat that was sitting in the middle of the sidewalk looking at me, and under the streetlights the white part of its fur had blended with the concrete in back of it, and somehow the way it was sitting, its black markings were folded over on top of one another and made it look like some big threatening bird!

And then, the cat sauntered off across the grass divider and onto the street and over by some trashbins, and then it disappeared.

No comments: