Saturday, February 12, 2022

Trashcan squirrels (2 of 2): Trash disposal.

Like a week after that, I was taking out my trash to the traschcan in the back alley by my house, and when I opened up the lid and dropped my trash into the almost-empty can, I heard some rustling at the bottom of it and so I looked down, and down in the like six inches of trash at the bottom of the can, there was like this brief wave of fur that moved like a ripple briefly across the surface of the trash, before it disappeared deep down into it. And, I realized that it was also a squirrel, and then all of a sudden the damage to the edge of the lid where like a corner was gone suddenly made sense, that maybe it had been gnawed off by a squirrel so that squirrels could go get in there and get themselves some food. In restrospect, too, I wonder if the squirrel was trapped and I should have tipped over the can and freed it, but squirrels are good jumpers, and once I was gone it probably just leaped out through the hole in the corner of the lid and went on its way.

No comments: