Thursday, February 10, 2022

A small pleasure of late:

Writing (German) publishers in (shitty) (German) when I have trouble ordering books from their websites (e.g. no shipping to the U.S., an order mistake where a bookstore in Munich accidentally charged me again and sent me out a second copy of the same book, two weeks after I placed my original order and had already been billed once and been informed that a book had been sent out). I wonder what they think when they get those emails? I think my German is intelligible, but it must be odd for them... I'm not sure how many non-German customers they get, and then how many of the non-German customers try something like that. It's interesting, too, to think back to how I did endless basic German vocabulary building several years ago so I could more easily read scholarship, and now I have to all of a sudden shift from reading to language production.

No comments: