Saturday, January 22, 2022

New college town people, redux (1 of 1): Neighbor.

Around Christmastime, when I was coming back late from a long afternoon walk that I took to get myself out of the house on a very pleasant day, I saw this (scruffy) (young) (white) (vaguely dark ethnic) guy just out on the stoop next door, sitting cross-legged on the bare concrete and staring out at the dark-ish street. So, since I had to turn right in front of him and walk up the side path of the front house to get to my back cottage, I said happy holidays, and then introduced I myself as the new neighbor. He said his name, which was kind of indie-ish, and then I said how long I had lived there, and that I had heard drumming from the basement occasionally. "That was me," he was like, and he said that he's a drumming major, and that his roommates are all students, too. "Oh," I was like, "I wasn't sure who that was, I thought maybe it was a family next door with some kid in a band or something." "I'm in a band," he was like. And, he never actually said it, but his tone of voice when he talked made it sound like he would finish each sentence with the word "dude."

No comments: